When Lucy's neighbor Miss Lewis ask for help giving a dinner invitation to her crush, Mr. Ritter, Lucy is eager to help. Ricky says no and spanks her for being nosy. Lucy doesn't want to get in more trouble, so she decides not to give him the invitation, but when she sees how excited Miss Lewis is about the dinner, she tries to give hints to Mr. Ritter that Miss Lewis likes him. Instead, Mr. Ritter starts to think that Lucy is the one who likes him, and admits to liking her too. She tries to clear things up by giving him the invitation, but since it's signed "Your secret lover" he thinks that he has been invited to Lucy's for dinner and tells her he's coming over.
Conveniently, Ricky calls to tell Lucy that he won't be able to come home for dinner. Lucy decides to keep the date with Mr. Ritter, and disappoint him so he doesn't want to date her. She puts on a messy outfit and serves him bad food, and even pretends to have dozens of children. However, this does not discourage him, and he says he'll love her no matter what. Ricky comes home and Miss Lewis accidentally tells him what's going on. To teach Lucy a lesson, he pretends that he's okay with her leaving him, and hands her over to Mr. Ritter. While Lucy runs after Ricky to reason with him, Miss Lewis comes in. Mr. Ritter seems to like her, and the two of them walk of together.
- The actress who plays Miss Lewis (Bea Benederet) was Lucy's first choice for the role of Ethel Mertz. Benederet played the role similar to Ethel (Iris Atterbury) on the radio show My Favorite Husband. She is also famous for doing the voice of Betty Rubble in The Flintstones years after this episode aired.
- Bea Benederet was really around Lucy's age. They just made her up to look like a senior citizen.
- This is one of only two episodes where neither Fred NOR Ethel appears. The other one is "The Young Fans".
- Miss Lewis enjoys elderberry wine.
- Mr. Ritter brings Lucy a bag of gumdrops when he comes to dinner.
- -Miss Lewis: Just because there's snow on the roof doesn't mean there's no fire in the furnace!
- -Lucy: Listen, don't let Grandma Lewis fool you. Yes, sir, you never know what's in a box by the wrapper. - Ricky: Well, really. I didn't even look at her wrapper!
- -Lucy: I think I can change Mr. Ritter's heartthrob to heartburn in one sitting.